Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cussin', Paintin', and Movin'

Ok, ok, ok, people stop the harassing phone calls and banging on my door at 4 a.m. I'll update my blog. I know you want more but I'm just one man! In all seriousness, I guess I've put this off way too long. It's been well over a month now so I guess it's time to rant about my closing-on-the-house-but-almost-didn't-close fiasco...
We show up at Wise Title company and meet our realtor, both of us are excited and nervous, as is expected when buying your first home.  Now, I try  to be a glass-half-full kinda guy all the time, but I just cannot stop thinking "This is going way too smooth, something is about to hit the fan." But I let my better judgment calm my nerves and we go ahead an commence with the paper signing. Everything is going great until we hit one little piece of paper from the appraisal district or company whatever its called, claiming that everything looks great except one little spot one the northwest corner of the house that will have to be repainted BEFORE they will allow the loan to go through. WOAH!
Now lets go back a few weeks when I had the home inspection performed. Nothing major, just a few little things here and there that are common with a house of this age, its actually in GREAT shape for this old of a house (early 70's, I believe). Anyway, he points this are on the northwest corner out to me and suggests that I paint it. OK, great that will be my first project as a homeowner, I'll just worry about that after closing. (By the way the inspector did an awesome job, I recommend Tim Martinets with Alpha Omega Home Inspection to anyone.) 
SO lets fast forward to the closing date, apparently after the inspection, when the house was appraised they saw the same patch of peeling paint that will have to be repaired and reinspected before closing can occur. The mortgage company's underwriters, however, simply looked over this little tidbit. Of course I offer to go get my painting clothes on and go fix it right now, and everyone agrees that would be just fine. After sending Wendy on a bat-out-of-Hell trip to Lowe's me and my nephew Corbin get to scraping, and that little northwest corner turns into the entire north side of the house as well. Now, I am by no means a professional painter, so it didn't look to grand, but it was white and not peeling any more, so I felt like a regular Bob Villa.
The mortgage company paid for the final inspection and got the guy out there ASAP the next morning, so I was still a happy customer, even though I got to move in a day late. It was hectic, but it was all worth it, we've been here a little over a month and still love it.

3 comments:

RPM said...

It's always something when you sign a mortgage. I kid you not. Just be thankful you've never had a problem with identity theft. Congrats on the new casa!

The Accomplice said...

At least you closed in the end. Are you still living in Bridgeport?

Ryan said...

@Accomplice

Yeah, we bought David Walker's old house across from the Boston st. water tower