Friday, January 15, 2010

My Current Guilty Pleasure:

I love it, in all its cheesy, glitzy, big-haired, shoulder-padded glory. I actually think it's more of a "comfort" thing to me. Dallas has to be my Dad's all-time favorite T.V. show, I used to sit up late and watch the reruns with him on TNN, The Nashville Network, when it was still on cable. I'll always remember the way he calls J.R. "that ol' swindler". He would send me off to bed but when I would hear the closing credits I would start humming along with that familiar theme song, just to get yelled at to "shut up and go to sleep!". I guess it just let's me revisit some special childhood moments me and my Dad shared. Who would have ever thought a 1980's soap opera would give a guy memories about his childhood? I started watching the series again just a little while after we found out Wendy was pregnant, when we were discussing name choices. We told my parents that if was a little boy, we would be naming him Jacob Ryan. The first words out of my Daddy's mouth were "We're gonna have a little J.R.!", and he gives Wendy fits over it! So that got me to thinking about the box set of the first two seasons I bought him for some occasion a few years back, I dug them out of the cabinet still sealed up like new and popped the first disc in and haven't been able to stop since.
Anyway besides nostalgic value, it's just a damn good show. I'm currently on season 6 on DVD; which is the only way to watch a series I might add. Jock's gone, Pam and Bobby are split, J.R. and Bobby are in war over Ewing Oil, Miss Ellie and Clayton are getting hot and heavy. You never see shows like that anymore, sure it's got sex, lies, ALOT of drinkin' and cheatin', but it somehow just seems more "wholesome" than some of the crap on T.V. today. Now don't get me wrong, I'm addicted to Brothers & Sisters on ABC, but most of what is on T.V. could be replaced with reruns of Home Improvement or Family Matters I think everyone would be in a little better mood, but I guess that's what they have T.V. Land and Nick at Nite for. Is Nick at Nite still on anymore?

1 comment:

el chupacabra said...

Good points all- not too long ago had wondered aloud how well Dallas aged after finding the first season of Life Goes On for cheap at Big Lots. A great, great fun- sweet show. Will give JR another try. I have an interesting 6th degree of separation to him (Larry Hagman) I'll reveal someday.